[thelist] Apache ... configuration problem

George Dillon <> Evolt! evolt at georgedillon.com
Tue Nov 6 06:22:36 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
> Subject: [thelist] Apache + ActivePerl CGI not working locally etc.
> Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 16:04:32 -0000

I've fixed the path problem... so now I can open/read/write files (solution
below).

But I still can't get date to work in the lines:

   $date_command="/bin/date"; # STILL NOT WORKING
   $logdate= `date +"%Y%m.log"`; # STILL NOT WORKING
   $getdate = `date +"%d/%b/%Y:%T"`;  # STILL NOT WORKING

And the flock line throws up this error:

  flock() unimplemented on this platform at f:\HOME\etc.

I thought these would be standard functions within Apache, but obviously
not.  Does this mean these are extras (modules ?) and I have to do something
more to install them and/or tell Apache (or to get Apache to tell my CGI
script) where to find them?

If so what do I do?

The above script causes Perl to go into some sort of endless loop, and it
won't shut-down whatever I do (i.e. CTRL+ALT+DEL fails and a number of
taskmanager's kill utilities also fail).  Result - I can only shut down
Win98 using the reset button - nasty!

What's Perl trying to do and is there a way to kill Perl once it does this,
or is there a magic-bullet line of script to prevent such a fatal error (I'm
already using "use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);" and it's not working!)?

TIA

George Dillon

BTW...  For Peter Kaulback ;) or anyone else who's interested here's the
solution to my paths problem...

By simplifying the script to simply create a file
> $log_file = "/findme.log";
and then running a search for 'findme.log' I found that the file had been
created in the DISK root (i.e. f:/)

So to get the line to work as I wanted it ( i.e. $log_file =
"/home/myusername/public_html/mylogs/hits$logdate";
)  I had to move my local site from "F:/WWW/georgedillon.test/" to
"F:/home/myusername/public_html/" (at the same time moving the cgi-bin up a
level) and then change my http.conf to read:

  DocumentRoot "F:/home"
  NameVirtualHost testsite
  <VirtualHost 127.0.0.4>
  DocumentRoot "F:/home/myusername/public_html"
  ServerName testsite
  ErrorLog "F:/home/myusername/public_html/logs/error.log"
  ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "F:/home/myusername/cgi-bin/"
  </VirtualHost>

  <Directory "F:/home/myusername/cgi-bin">
      Options +ExecCGI
  </Directory>