[thelist] Site Check

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Wed Nov 7 13:21:54 CST 2001

At 12:05 AM 11/8/2001, you wrote:
>5. When responding to a post, delete all information that is not
>strictly necessary. This includes the evolt.org tag line and .sig
>files. DELETE ANYTHING YOU'RE NOT SPECIFICALLY RESPONDING TO.
>
>At the very least for the digest members sakes.....

Amen. I had posted a request about this a week or so back. I hate scrolling
through long lines of ten previous quoted messages to get to the next
message. If you're responding only to one line from a message, quote ONLY
that line.

I'm afraid Outlook's default moronic behaviour is also partially
responsible. Instead of using the ">" quote character, it prefers to use
the "Original message <carriage return> ------------------- [rest of
message]" format. Bugger!

And Paul, it's not just what you say, but also how you say it that matters.
You've just lowered the chances of someone else helping you out in the
future with your tone. Let me quote some of what you wrote:

>someone else perhaps who didn't read my first email!
>where did i mention i wanted feedback on site content?

Ouch! That sounds to me like "You moron! Can't you read? If you did, why
are you bugging me?".

Instead, you *could* have rephrased it like this:

"Thanks for all the design and content-related feedback. While I'm not the
guy who handles those departments, I'll try and pass it on to those who do."

The people who gave you feedback are doing so selflessly. They have nothing
to gain from it. So, take it in the spirit of comaraderie in which it's
given. That's what makes this place so great.

Sincerely,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant