[thelist] Linux: how to add to $PATH var?

Tobyn Baugher trb at cartoonviolence.net
Thu Nov 8 14:31:30 CST 2001

On 11/8/2001 8:02 AM -0800 Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> While still logged in, open another window on your desktop and
> log in through that; make sure everything works normally (or at
> least as you expected!) in that window. Then you should be OK
> to fully log out.

To this effect, since I figured he was using an xterm of some sort
rather than being a complete command line ninja, the suggestion of
modifying the .bash_profile won't work. This file is only read on login
shells, which an xterm is not. Best way to handle this is to edit
.bashrc, then put a line in .bash_profile like:

. $HOME/.bashrc

so that it gets read no matter what you do, which is probably what you
want anyway.

--
Tobyn Baugher <trb at cartoonviolence.net>
http://www.cartoonviolence.net