[thelist] 3-column layout with CSS (was: RE: Horizontal element alignment with CSS1)

Paul Peterson paul at thereformist.com
Sun Nov 11 00:29:02 CST 2001

> > I haven't yet seen a 3-column layout done sans-table that I
> > would want to implement anyways (due to overlapping DIVs and other
> > weirdness), so I'll continue being Mr. Transitional.
> >
> > Paul
>
> Have a look at  http://bluerobot.com/web/layouts/layout3.html
>
> bruce

Exactly my point. I can't stand the overlapping content that occurs on the
site below when the browser window is narrowed considerably. I prefer table
cells, because they shrink but stay separate.

Paul

<tip type="Pull-down Style Switcher" author="Paul Peterson">
Want to add a pull-down menu to your page that allows users to select
different styles? First read this article at A List Apart:
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/alternate/. Then download their
styleswitcher.js file and add it to your site. Finally, customize and paste
this code into your page:

<form action="[URL]">
  <select size="1" onchange="setActiveStyleSheet(value);">
    <option>Select a style:</option>
    <option value="default">[label]</option>
    <option value="[value1]">[label1]</option>
    <option value="[value2]">[label2]</option>
  </select>
</form>

</tip>