IDE influence (was RE: [thelist] ColdFusion: Nested pound signs)

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Thu Nov 15 02:20:33 CST 2001

>It's interesting - the IDE influences your coding style. I wonder if
>people see this w/ other IDEs/languages?

Something I've been working on is carrying coding habits from one language
to another where it makes sense to do so. Someone on the list posted that
instead of the funky JavaScript function braces

function {
	stuff and another	{
		function
	}
}

they format their js functions like vbscript is usually shown

function
{
	stuff and another
	{
		function
	}
}

which always shows you if you've closed all your nests or not. (Guess what's
the number one killer of js functions at my house?) I'm implementing similar
concepts in my SQL stored procedures, since it looks so neat.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a comparative analysis of coding conventions
from different languages, and see where borrowing would make life easier?

joel at spinhead.com