[thelist] MS Exchange questions

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Thu Nov 15 11:49:00 CST 2001

Chris described his situation with words such as these:
| Are there any custom tools that we can use to write custom
| apps that will access the server?  We have several custom
| programs that we wrote for our old email program (ccmail) and
| we will need to write new programs.

Hi Chris,

I've written a few Exchange based apps, and am actually working on one which
will leverage the routing mechanisms built into 5.5. (Of course Exchange
2000 is _completely_ different, so I guess I'll be scrapping those plans)8

The "tools" which can be used are dependent on the technology and language
you use to access it.

Anything from ASP to .Net to VC++ to a VB app are more or less native to the
Exchange environment. You can also use OLE DB (and thus maybe as a CF
datasource?). I like Outlook and VBscript myself -- Outlook is a FAT client
with lots of unused features, and VBscript is quick and powerful enough to
hide most of that bloat and show forth an elegant looking little app.

CF can be used to access the Exchange server through LDAP, although, from
what I have gathered, this is nearly impossible and kludgy if done, since,
apparently, MS's version of LDAP is *not quite* the one everyone else uses.
(What?! How'd this happen?)

CF can also access COM components which are, like most things MS, the heart
and soul of the Exchange environment. I wonder if there are some COM
components out there (try www.cfcomet.com,
http://marketplace.devx.com/componentsource/email.asp,
http://www.slipstick.com/dev/index.htm, http://www.cdolive.com/) which could
assist you in your endeavors?

Shout if you'd like anymore invisible hand.

<rory disposition="and to think i once _refused_ to learn MS technologies"
alt="8}"/>