[thelist] damn windows (fwd)

Matt Patterson list-matt at reprocessed.org
Mon Nov 19 10:19:24 CST 2001

On 19/11/01 at 9:43 am, djc at members.evolt.org (Daniel J. Cody) wrote:

> here is the problem.
>
> i am opening up two windows, lets call them windows "B" and "C", from
> window "A".
> window ""B" has a link on it that links back to the content in window
> "A".  when that link is activated i want both window "B" &"C" to close
> and window "A" to reload to a new page on my site.

An answer (or at least, what I would do with this kind of stuff) is to
assign variables in window 'A' which refer to windows 'B' and 'C' and
are assigned when you open those windows (as in var windowVar =
window.open(blah.html)). Then, when you call content in window A simply
perform a check like (if (typeof windowVar != undefined)) to figure out
if you actually opened them or not, then (having established whether or
not they exist) make window 'A' display new content and then close
windows 'B' and 'C' (the assumption being that you've assigned variables
which won't disappear when you close window 'A' - probably local
variables in window 'B').

HTH

Matt

--