[thelist] The Tao of asking questions on thelist (was Protecting against ... sp at m)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 20 08:07:01 CST 2001

> From: "George Dillon  <> Evolt!" <evolt at georgedillon.com>
[...]
> Intrigued, and having had the same paranoid (and frustrated) feelings
> on several past occasions, I searched my archive of evolt messages for
> the said unanswered postings, and was surprised to find that I had to
> courteous and helpful replies to other people from this complainant.

if it's any consolation, i think i've asked about 10 questions this
year, and i've gotten no replies to 5 of them, and less than 5 replies
to the rest... it can be frustrating, but i suspect it's simply because
no one has the answer...

i know i, for one, now delete entire threads without reading (500+
messages a day requires it), so if a thread changes to something
else, it gets missed... i also don't bother with threads/questions
that i know other people are conversant in, since they'll usually
pipe up before i can anyway... and the remaining lack of replies on
my part are because i don't know the answer (although if i see a
post with no reply, i'll at least try a response)...

this *is* a relatively high-traffic list, things get missed in the din...

[...]
> I've sometimes thought that certain days of the week are bad days for
> asking questions, as are certain times of day but I don't know if this
> is really true.
[...]

no, that is true... saturdays/sundays seem to be low traffic and
people miss threads when they come back in on monday...

[...]
> <question type="recycled and slightly pruned">
>
> > My client is receiving irate replies from victims of a spammer
> > who is using randomly-generated mailbox names under her domain.
[...]
> > 1) Is there *any* recourse whatsoever for this kind of thing?

and i still don't have an answer, other than "no."