[thelist] Re: Windows 2000 server with NT workstation

Kevin Martin evolt at brasscannon.net
Tue Nov 20 14:41:12 CST 2001

Paul Backhouse writes:

[Machines disappear off of Network Neighborhood but can still be
"found" if you look for them one at a time]

>Kristina
>> I had this exact same problem on my W2k machine, the only way I
>> found to solve it was reinstalling W2k
> it really strange - cheers for the advice though, don't think we'll
> reinstall - there just has to be another way.

I've encountered that symptom twice; once back in the Windows 3.1 era, and
then again more recently.

The answer in the old days was to eliminate all protocols other than
TCP/IP -- it turns out that Windows networking will work just fine
(better, even!) if you do not have NetBEUI installed as a protocol.

Years went by. We recently had a power outage and shut everything down,
and when we turned things back on, the network (seven PC's and one token
iMac) fragmented into pairs or triplets.  None of the boxes could see the
entire workgroup.

I discovered that if I made one Linux box the master browser for the
entire workgroup (using samba), everything stabilized and everyone started
working together again.  Takes a few minutes for the broadcast messages to
make the rounds and for everyone to find each other, by the way.

Who knows, it might simply be a matter of turning on the machines in the
right order!