[thelist] IDE influences (was CF: Nested pound signs)

David Shadovitz david_shadovitz at xontech.com
Tue Nov 20 14:44:48 CST 2001

Ray wrote:

> It's interesting - the IDE influences your coding style. I wonder if
people see this w/ other IDEs/languages?

I write IDL code (that's Interactive Data Language, from Research
Systems, Inc.).  The IDL IDE's color coding made my realize that some of
my variable names were the same as the names of vendor-supplied
functions and procedures.  It was disconcerting to see color in an
unexpected place.  And since reusing these names could lead to nasty
results, I scanned the code and renamed offending variables.

What's still disconcerting is that IDL *itself* reuses some procedure
and function names as keywords.  For example, GET_LUN is a function but
it's also a keyword to the OPENW procedure.  So the IDE colorizes it in
both instances.

-David