[thelist] TARGET="_blank"

Paul Peterson paul at thereformist.com
Wed Nov 21 19:28:27 CST 2001

Here's one for the polls...

What are your opinions on opening links in new windows? Do you use them? If
so, when do you feel is an appropriate/inappropriate instance? Do you add
warnings (e.g. "will open in a new window") or let the users figure it out
for themselves?

Personally, I add links to new windows if they are amid content that I want
the user to come back to immediately. If it is on a "Links" page or
something similar, I will have the link open in the same window, since the
user is apparently ready to leave the site. Lately, I have been adding more
warnings if I think users may get confused otherwise.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Paul