[thelist] Illustrator 10

Kai Pahl kai at kaipahl.de
Thu Nov 22 01:57:47 CST 2001

> I was wondering if someone has a scoop of what's new with Ill 10...
> Has someone tried it already? Pros, cons?

take a look on the product-page of adobe, to get a glimpse on the new
features.
<http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/>

i got AI 10 since a week, but got no possibility to get deep onto the new
version.

what i absolutely disliked was the slow performance on macOS X/G3-powerBook
and macOS 9.1/G4. especially when using transparency stuff or styles with
blur-effects.

i noted a visual "bug" when the desktop-background gets refreshed after the
fadeout of a tooltip (OS 9.1).this bug and the performance looks like they
did major changes to the graphic-engine in AI.

interestingly they have changed the tool-palette after furnishing the
journalists with betas, because the tool-palette looks now differently, and
IMHO uglier.

there are some nice features about "warping" shapes and i like the ability
to re-use shapes with the help of "symbols" (like in flash).

still wondering why AI can't create multi-page documents...

so overall mixed feelings, but i didn't use AI10 very much so far.

bye
kai

--
. Kai Pahl, Hamburg, Germany