[thelist] IE - The claret (white dotted line) on clickable images

Adrian Simmons adrian at cubitum.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 10:50:58 CST 2001

>If you turn off the dotted line, users who use their keyboards to
>navigate your site will be completely & utterly lost, as they will
>have no idea where they are - because there is no dotted line.

Is this the same as the solid border you get in IE 5 mac when using
the keyboard to navigate pages? It appears around all links, whether
they are clickable images or not.

Sorry if I'm missing something here but, for IE 5 mac, you turn off
that behavior in the browser (it is on by default) by going to
Preferences>Web Browser>Browser Display and setting Keyboard
Accessibility to "Tab to just text fields" Option-tab to each item.

Which has the effect of removing the link border when you are using
the mouse, but keeps it if you Option-tab.

Maybe you can tell that customer to change their browser preferences
- or maybe the PC IE versions don't let you change that...

I suppose what we really need is a way to change the appearance of
those link borders with CSS, to make them fit with the design rather
than just turning them off.

--
Adrian

e-mail: