[thelist] JS: Arg! Netscape 4.7 & site check.

Frank framar at interlog.com
Fri Nov 23 12:58:22 CST 2001

>for your NS4 problems:

First off, thanks for a *wonderfully* thorough and precise response.
I know this might sound kind of funny, I had great pleasure in
reading this. This is what I consider to be a most excellent example
of high quality collaborative communication.

If I may, I would like to address a number of points you've made.

>  3) NS4 regards a <div> which has an id to be a separate
>  document, so you have to step through the documents to
>  reach your image

Uh! Ok, I get that. Thanks, the fix worked perfectly.

>  The roll-over script could be a lot more compact - but
>  it works ok.

Can you offer an example of what that would look like? You probably
mean the way that I've initialized and assigned the alternate image
values, right?

>  4) NS4 has a well known resize-bug

Up until this time, I was a staunch proponent of keeping all my code
as backward compatible as possible. There also has to be a time when
someone moves into the current world. I'm new to doing a page that's
(almost) 100% css2, so I hadn't encountered that yet.

>  Aside from that the page looks nice, the code is
>  well-laid out, if a little verbose, [..]

Can you offer an example of what you are looking at when you mention
that? If you are referring to the stylesheet itself, there are some
declarations where I've had to repeat stuff, because NS4 wouldn't
cascade them properly.

>  [...] I guess all the roll-over stuff could be done with
>  text/css

I've seen DreamWeaver sites do that. What would you consider the
advantages of using CSS for this purpose? Are you thinking of
toggling the visibility of the divs on and off, or were you thinking
of another approach?

>  There's quite a few minor syntax errors in there though.
>  (capitalization etc)

Now *this* I'm quite surprised at, especially when I go out of my way
to use the validator. Can offer some examples?

I usually consider myself to be quite the expert in HTML (not JS
though!), and you've opened my eyes on a number of things. Thanks
again, this was a great response.

--

Our best destiny, as planetary cohabitants, is the development
of what has been called "species consciousness" - something over

Frank Marion                      Framar Studios
frank at framarstudios.com           http://www.framarstudios.com