[thelist] ASP & Access - Using the same variable twice

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Sun Nov 25 07:58:32 CST 2001

> My server is somewhere in teh USA, and Im in Japan.  I want to
> have a script that pulls things out according to the current date,
> but with the big time difference, I dont know what I can do.

hi christian

interesting question

the first thing you'll want to do is find out which time zone your server
is in, and whether the server's clock is reliable and accurate -- 99% of
servers are, but i've run into one where the clock is deliberately off by a
few hours on purpose (not sure why, perhaps so that when you ftp a file,
you always get the warning message about there being a more recent file
on the server, are you sure you want to overwrite?)

the next thing is figuring out what you mean by "current date"

are you going to go by the time zone your site visitor is in?  that's
really hard to pin down

on the other hand, if you want tokyo time, then just figure out the offset
from your server and you're all set

and yes, you'd use something like

  WHERE dDATE = current date + 14 hours

depending on what sort of date calculation syntax your particular database
supports

rudy