[thelist] CF: cflocation/cfcookie workaround

Joshua Olson joshua at alphashop.net
Mon Nov 26 10:41:50 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "rudy" <r937 at interlog.com>
Subject: Re: [thelist] CF: cflocation/cfcookie workaround

: > CFLOCATE has a nasty habit of stripping everything out of
: > the datastream before it does the relocation.  I'm sure that is the
: > intentional behavior so that nothing seems to happen on the clients
: > browser to give away the relocation actually occurred.
:
: hi joshua
:
: can i ask a follow-on question?
:
: first of all, it's cflocation, right?   ;o)

Uh, yeah.  sorry!  :)

: okay, what did you mean by "nothing seems to happen on the clients browser
: to give away the relocation actually occurred"?

What I meant was that the casual user does not see any content during the
relocation.  The browser reloads (as is indicated by the progress bar
resetting) but the screen itself generally does not change at all.

: here's a bit of background
:
: i want my archived pages to have urls without query strings, so that they
: will get individual listings in search engines

You are correct that the URL in the address bar does indeed change, and a
user will not be fooled at all if they look up there.

As for the rest of your plan.. I don't know enough about every search engine
to know what they'll do during a redirect.  Sorry.

However, there might be another approach.  You could check the user agent
and 1) relocate if the agent is a normal browser (or is emulating one), 2)
do a quick query and dump the raw text to the file otherwise (you know, for
the spiders)!

HTH,

-joshua