[thelist] Re: Search Engines

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Mon Nov 26 13:37:38 CST 2001

At 04:19 AM 11/26/2001, Øyvind Vestavik wrote:
>or you can
>insert the Codfish-word into your text many times. A sneaky way to do this
>is to insert  "codfish" any number of times using extremelig small fonts
>and the same font colour as your page background so that it won't be
>vivible to the user, but the robot will give it a high ranking on searches
>on "codfish". There is some information on how to "attract the attention"
>of spiders on the homepages of individual search-engines (no-one obey the
>same rules)  or you can check out http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/robots.html

One must be careful about doing things like this, though, as many of the
search engines spiders have already caught on to this trick, and if they
find your site guilty of "spamming" the search engines they'll end up
banning your site(s). So I personally wouldn't recommend doing things like
that. There are plenty of other ways to help your rankings without taking
that kind of risk.

Some great sources of info about the above and other related issues can be
found at http://www.searchenginewatch.com/ and
http://www.rankwrite.com/  and lots of tutorials and more info at
WebsiteTips.com's search engine section: http://www.websitetips.com/search/

It's also important to keep in mind, too, as I'm sure you know, is that
good rankings at search engines are just one avenue of getting visitors to
your sites.

Warmly,
Shirley

--