[thelist] Networking PCs full stop, was: Networking PC's to Mac's

/cdj chris at fuzzylizard.com
Tue Nov 27 08:45:28 CST 2001

kristina

I need to mention one more thing that _may_ prevent the two machines
from talking to one another. They need to belong to the same workgroup.

Huh, what's a workgroup?

It basically gives a name to the network that the computers are
connected to.

To check this in win2k
-Right click on My Network Places
-Under the Advanced menu option at the top of the page choose
Network Identification
-See what the Workgroup is.
-to change it, click on the Properties button and change the workgroup.

Unfortunately, I am not sure how to do this in win98, but it can't be
that different.

Bottom line, they need to belong to the same workgroup before they can
see each others files using NetBEUI.

One last little thing is that if you are trying to set up a win2k and
win98 network, you need to set win98 to login each time you reboot the
computer and you need to set up a user account for that machine in
win2k. Otherwise, the win2k machine will be able to see the files on the
win98 machine but not the other way around.

/cdj

P.S. Don't forget to share a few folders or a drive as well.

Complicated isn't it.