[thelist] stupid CSS question

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Wed Nov 28 09:22:50 CST 2001

> That way I could simply change the 6 color classes at the top of
> the stylesheet and presto the whole site goes from blues to reds.
>
> a boy can dream....

hi matt

nothing wrong with that

in fact, here's how to do it the good old fashioned way

put all your colours into a separate style sheet

so, for example, you might create a file called plainwhite.css using

 body {       color: #000000 ;
   background-color: #FFFFFF ; }
 a:link,
 a:visited {  color: #0000FF;
   background-color: #FFFFFF; }
 a:hover,
 a:active {   color: #FF0000;
   background-color: #CCCCCC; }

and another called screamingyellow.css using

 body {       color: #00FF00 ;
   background-color: #FFFF00 ; }
 a:link,
 a:visited {  color: #000000;
   background-color: #FFFF00; }
 a:hover,
 a:active {   color: #FF0000;
   background-color: #FFFFCC; }

now, the rest of your style specs go into common.css  --

 body { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif ; }
 a { font-weight: bold ; }

and then in the page you just link in the common style sheet and one of the
colour ones --

  <link rel="stylesheet" href="common.css" type="text/css" />
  <link rel="stylesheet" href="plainwhite.css" type="text/css" />

you can then change colours simply by calling in a different colour style
sheet

the specs are additive, and there's no messing around with fancy multiple
classes

helps?

rudy