[thelist] Textarea - HTML - line breaks

Roee Rubin webdesign1 at irubin.com
Thu Nov 29 16:27:12 CST 2001

Hello,

I have a certain page where I enter information in a text area:

<textarea name="biography" cols="35" rows="15"></textarea>

and then submit the data to a perl-script which in turn updates the database
(mysql) with the record.

I can later modify the record through another textarea field.

My questions is this ... Lets say I type the following data into the text
area (including line breaks)

<data>

This three-way clash of the consoles is certain to enthrall video game fans
since the competition will likely heighten the quality of all the products
and keep each company on its toes.

However, is there enough room in the market for these different machines?

</data>

The perl-script updates the DB correctly and when I later edit the data
through the text area the line breaks are kept.

Whenever I print the data to an html page the line  breaks don't appear and
I lose the formatting. So it looks like the following:

<data>

This three-way clash of the consoles is certain to enthrall video game fans
since the competition will likely heighten the quality of all the products
and keep each company on its toes.
However, is there enough room in the market for these different machines?

</data>

Any clues?

Roee Rubin
roee at irubin.com