[thelist] digital camera

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Nov 29 18:01:24 CST 2001

Thank you all so much!  Couplea things:

Dan C wrote:
>This seems to be a pretty popular question on thelist, and our
>archives have some good posts:

right-o.  Nonetheless, I found the responses which addressed my
specific situation particularly helpful.  My thanks to all the folks
who helped me contextually.

Ben H wrote:
>Most cameras will record in greyscale and sepia-tone modes, in addition to
>color (though one wonders why an experienced Photoshop user would care
>*grin*).

I see what you (and Martin) are saying.  The main reason I like the
idea of actually opting to take a B/W image is that as a less than
pro photographer, there are times I see something I don't think is
very interesting in color, but wonder if it will be more interesting
in b/w...  sometimes it is (depending on shape, contrast, shadow
etc.) I like to be able to preview the image that way to see how the
b/w contrasts look, etc.

I also thought maybe b/w photos would take up less memory, but maybe
I'm wrong there.  I guess it isn't an essential feature, just kind of
handy to my inexperienced eye.

Martin B wrote:
>Although the pics may only end up being used at 640x480, you'll tend to
>get better quality from larger originals reduced with Photoshop. More
>data is better on the whole.

Yes, I absolutely agree here.  I like to have enough wiggle room for
slicing & dicing, etc.

Thanks again, everyone, for the help.

Erika