[thelist] How to stop Ultradev creating _notes folders?

George Dillon <> Evolt! evolt at georgedillon.com
Fri Nov 30 16:18:02 CST 2001

> You can set Dreamweaver to not upload ... metafiles...
> But that folder ... will always be created.
>
> I'm curious about what negative impact you're seeing from
> having a near-empty folder in the local site...?
>
> jd

Hi John

Thanks for pitching in on this (I hoped/knew you would ;)

As you can't be contacted off-list, I'm afraid I've got to subject everyone
to this...

<rant type="mild">

As muinar has already commented

> Would you let me put a near-empty folder into all of your project
> directories?

I'm one of those "I like to have control over what's on my disk" retentive
kinda guy.  You know - I don't like spyware or things that take over
associations or add themselves to the start menu every time they run... OR
Ultradev creating directories all over the place.

The main thing I use Ultradev for is hacking existing web pages I've
downloaded, so I can remove scripts and mastheads etc. and join several
pages of an article into a single page for later easier reading or nicer
printing.  [OK maybe not the purpose it was designed for and possibly
illegal strictly speaking, but then again why not?]  To assist in navigating
around the downloads I created a 'site' in DWU with my downloads directory
as its root.  Then I wanted to hack into some program help files to extract
the bits I wanted to read over on paper. So I thought why not just set the
disk root as a site root?

I put up with the _notes directories for a while, until working on a CGI to
scan an entire website for pages and directories and therefrom
generate/update the navigation system I found myself having to add extra
bits of code to account for all those _notes directories.

It was when I found a *$&%#@  _notes  directory on my desktop that I got
really annoyed.

So much of DW & DWU is fantastic at doing what it's supposed to do, and so
much of it is configurable, it seems a wantonly user-unfriendly thing to
force all these _notes directories down our throats.

> As always, you can tell the dev team exactly what you think:
> http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform/

Oooh yes!  I'll just sharpen my typing finger!

</rant>

<tip type="anti-spam freeware">

http://www.mailwasher.net/

The new version of Mailwasher (1.28) is out and it finally overcomes some
bugs which prevented bouncing of emails while running Zonealarm or not
connecting to pop3 accounts identified by IP no.

In brief, Mailwasher examines the headers of your mail from multiple email
accounts. It will automatically mark suspected spam for bouncing/deletion
using an easily configurable filter/blacklist system, and if you're
uncertain about any message you can preview it (by double-clicking on its
header). When you've marked messages for deletion/bouncing/blacklisting
Mailwasher will process your mail and then start up (or shift focus to) your
default email client so you can download the mail you want as normal.

Simple, cheap... and very effective.

It won't necessarily stop the spam coming, but it will save you having to
download it.

It may also help you to avoid virarse infected mails.

</tip>

George Dillon