[thelist] Variable Stylesheets?

lon.kraemer lwkraemer at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 2 21:27:04 CST 2001

Hi Shirley

> > > Here's a quicky sample: http://www.famnets.com/varcsstest.asp
> >very nice technique
> >rudy
>
> Lon, I agree with Rudy. Very nice technique! I'd love to see this
> implemented and played with further. I like what you've done and see a
> terrific use for it. From your original note, it seems like such a logical
> approach. Keep going. And I like Michelle's idea of publishing this at
> evolt.org, too.

Thanks, you're very kind. Actually, this whole thing is an extension of a
technique that aardvark (adrian) use(s/d) on his site (roselli.org) to allow
a user to select a text size. I punched up his code to include the ability
to select a layout too (ice, jello, liquid). It's when I started to desire
offering selectable colors that my feeble gears started to churn.

> I'd love to play around with this for a webpage or two also. This would
> work on any page that links to it, correct? In other words, if a visitor
> came to your site and wanted to change the entire site, they could? (I'm a
> designer/developer, not a programmer, so I apologize if it's a newbie
> question!)

Please, 'play around'! Let me know if I can assist. Yup, it'll 'work on any
page that links to it'. It starts with defaults, then processes selection
requests. The selections are respected throughout a session for the entire
site via temp cookies or persisted (opt-in) for future visits.

You're too modest and from what I know of you (list posts and your terrific
site), you couldn't possibly be tagged a 'newbie'!

> Warmly,
> Shirley

LK