[thelist] Variable Stylesheets?

lon.kraemer lwkraemer at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 2 21:27:07 CST 2001

Hi Don,

> Here is an article about creating dynamic stylesheets in ASP:
>
> http://www.asp101.com/articles/thomas/dynamicstylesheets/default.asp

Hey, nice catch... even if it does pop my bubble! ;-(

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
--Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S.Office of Patents, 1899

Though Thomas' article emphasizes using the technique to dynamically write
stylesheets to handle browser (in)compatibility, the tip link at the end of
the article really nails what I've described.

I'm with Shirley (Kaiser) though. I believe there's more to this technique
than meets the eye. In addition to the obvious benefit of enabling user
selectable viewing preferences, it'd be great for designers to show
alternate, 'you name the attribute', schemes. It's somewhat useful for those
who are inclined to obfuscate their code/stylesheets (Okay, maybe I'm
grasping at straws). I think the beauty is the flexibility... one
stylesheet, infinite styles.

We'll just have to see what 'develops' from this discussion!

> ENjoy!
>
> Don Makoviney

LK