[thelist] Variable Stylesheets?

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Mon Dec 3 03:11:18 CST 2001

Shirley, didn't you make the comment once that until we stop designing
for Netscape 4, users won't be motivated to change? I'm beginning to
think we may actually reach that point.

We're seeing more browsers. Mozilla and Opera seem to have little quirks
all their own; nothing really painful, as I recall, but they exist. I
want my content to be usable by as much of the target audience as
possible, so degradability is important, but I wonder if we'll ever
reach the point where there are too many workarounds to be feasible on a
commercial site? At some point, will the 'balance of power' shift from
the users (many of whom are told by their employer what browser to use)
to designers, who just can't fit any more browser/platform checks and
workarounds into their code any more?

Of course, a greater evil would be if we DIDN'T have the diversity - in
spite of a pretty good existing version, I can think of at least one
company I DON'T want owning the entire browser market (especially since
they don't even make their own sites comply with existing standards.)

Many inventors and creators worked to fill a need that didn't exist yet,
except in their own minds. Maybe somehow we really are working toward a
standards compliant web.

Or maybe it's 1:15 a.m. in SoCal, and somebody's up past bedtime for an
old man.

Joel at spinhead.com