[thelist] Variable Stylesheets?

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Mon Dec 3 11:38:04 CST 2001

Lon,

> I've never read anything resembling this technique. Have I stumbled upon a
> really useful new "tool" or is it just folly?

    Definitely a useful tool. We did have a related thread on this several
months ago [1]. My thinking at that time was to map the .css extension to
the asp dll so that the server would parse style sheets as it would an asp
page. There was also a suggestion to create an alternate extension, such as
.cssp, that would indicate a dynamic style sheet that required server-side
processing, allowing the continued use of static .css pages without invoking
the asp parser. Of course, either of these require administrative access to
the server in order to map new file extensions to the asp dll, and
additional setup overhead if you ever move your dynamic css or cssp files to
another server.
    One obvious benefit of using .asp for dynamic stylesheets is that you
don't have to modify any server settings. In my brief testing, I didn't find
any significant drawbacks (aside from possible developer confusion as to
what kind of asp file one is dealing with) to using the .asp extension for
dynamic css files.

James Aylard

1. http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20010514/157479.html ,
http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20010514/157520.html ,