[thelist] .htaccess

John Corry john at neoncowboy.com
Tue Dec 4 17:35:11 CST 2001

Doh! I forgot to change the subject :)

<tip type="dealing with poor support for standards in old browsers">
I didn't get much sleep last night and am NOT in the mood for NN 4.5!!

If you use CSS to format and style your pages, that's a good step. But
here's a scenario that might bite you on the ass:

If you only use CSS to format your type, you might be getting into trouble.
If your pages have a dark background via <body> attributes like
bgcolor="#000000" or background="black_picture.gif" and you are counting on
your nice CSS to lighten your type, as in:
body, p, h1, h2, h3{
	color: #ffffff
}

Guess what! NN 4.5 for windows won't apply your type style to some type,
in black, times new roman (or whatever your user's default type is). Stupid
ass browser!

So my suggestion for defeating this lame behavior is to use CSS to do ALL of
the formatting, and employ some kind of browser sniffer (prefferably server
side, email me for PHP or SSI code) to serve the right stylesheet.

I swear, I am on the verge of yanking support for this browser. It's just
too big a pain in the ass!
</tip>