[thelist] .htaccess

Keith cache at dowebs.com
Wed Dec 5 11:02:16 CST 2001

> > Did you do the same thing I did, change to using shtml on a site
> > after people had bookmarked index.html?

> I wonder, why would you want to change to index.shtml?

On that server we were not able to SSI enable .html by doing an
AddHandler or XBitHack due to setting on the AllowOverride, but
were able to do the redirect. (A drawback to doing official County
government sites, the choice of hosting server is usually based on
local politics). But you're right, turning index.html into a server
parsed file would have been the preferred way to go.

> AddHandler server-parsed .shtml .htm .html
>
> Or does that only work for PHP?

The AddHandler and XBitHack have nothing to do with PHP or
anyother add-on language, it's a webserver thing.

keith