[thelist] Email Validator

Matthew Blanchard blanchardmatthew at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:42:33 CST 2001

From: "Maryanna Nesina" <mar at MN1052.srv.pu.ru>
Subject: Re: [thelist] Email Validator

> I tried http://tech.irt.org/articles/js049/index.htm code and example
> and have a question. It doesn't allow the addresses like qq at com or qq at ru
is
> it right?

Yes, the code doesn't allow this. It ends in:

\.[A-Za-z0-9]+$/

The dot ('\.') is not quantified (that is, it is not followed, or not in a
sub-pattern which is followed, by a quantifier (a quantifier is *,+,?,{}),
and thus has to appear as-is in the email address.

I'm not a "net lawyer" so I don't know if "somebody at blah" is valid as an
internet address. I don't think it is "politically" possible.

It is valid, however, when you're in a LAN and you want to send email to
another machine in the same domain. Maybe such addresses are also possible
with today's "RealNames"/"TrueNames"/"BlahBlahNames" services, I don't know.