[thelist] SVG versus Flash?

Joergen Ramskov mqy4fxax36001 at sneakemail.com
Thu Dec 6 03:46:14 CST 2001

> From: "Richard Bennett" <richard.bennett at skynet.be>
>
> > What do you mean with a "Flash-like website"?
> Something like this:
> http://disney.go.com/park/homepage/today/flash/index.html

Okay. No, it will not be something like that. Is such a site hard to create
in SVG? Why?

> I use it to make web-applications, either for intra-net, or B
> to B. I would not use it for something easily done in Flash,
> or something that's mainly there too "look good". there should
> be enough insentive to install the 2 meg plugin if that's not
> already done.

To demand that people need to Install a 2MB plugin is not a problem
in this case - it is for a limited audience and they will all have
a good internet connection.

> Look into Batik then, it's a Java implementation of SVG, with
> a server-side and client-side component.

I've read a little bit about it - it doesn't do dynamic stuff yet
if I recall correctly.

> > > * It will run on IE/NS4+NS6/Mozilla, on PC/MAC/Linux (Flash
> > > probably does too) - Not on Opera though.
> >
> > How do you get SVG to run in Mozilla/NS6? Do you use the
> native Mozilla
> > support? AFAIK the Adobe plugin doesn't work with it, or?
> The plugin, but you have to drop the NPSVG3.dll file into
> Mozilla's plugin directory yourself.

I'm having trouble getting it to show dynamic SVG content - it shows
it fine in IE, but not in Mozilla, there it is static.

--
Joergen Ramskov