[thelist] SVG versus Flash?

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Thu Dec 6 06:13:54 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joergen Ramskov" <mqy4fxax36001 at sneakemail.com>

> > Something like this:
> > http://disney.go.com/park/homepage/today/flash/index.html
>
> Okay. No, it will not be something like that. Is such a site hard to
create
> in SVG? Why?
Because you can't use Flash's WYSIWYG interface.
You can't really use Flash-like reusable clips.
The SMIL animation engine is very processor-intensive. (it doesn't have a
user adjustable frame-rate, so even an un-important little animation will be
run at the best quality the processor will allow, meaning it uses 100%
processor when a lot of animations are combined.)
SVG's tools, and the available documentation isn't at the same level as
Flash'.

> > Look into Batik then, it's a Java implementation of SVG, with
> > a server-side and client-side component.
>
> I've read a little bit about it - it doesn't do dynamic stuff yet
> if I recall correctly.
Since a short while it has scripting support, although not full yet.
Personnaly I don't like Batik, but if you use JAVA it might be of use.

> > The plugin, but you have to drop the NPSVG3.dll file into
> > Mozilla's plugin directory yourself.
>
> I'm having trouble getting it to show dynamic SVG content - it shows
> it fine in IE, but not in Mozilla, there it is static.
Maybe you're not using the internal scripting engine, and your code doesn't
agree with Mozilla.
Normally mozilla does support everything (when using the Adobe plugin)
Join the developers list to discuss these kind of things.

Cheers,
Richard.