[thelist] DSL in America

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Thu Dec 6 08:45:21 CST 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Madhu Menon wrote:

> I'm planning to get a DSL line for myself (my phone bills are exorbitant
> from being connected 10-12 hours a day).
>
> Unfortunately, all DSL providers in my area have limits on how much
> bandwidth you can use in a month - 1 GB/ month.
>
> Is this a practice in USA too? Or are there no limits?

It depends on who your provider is.  Where I live (Portland, Oregon) my
telco charges $40/mo. for 768/128 no guarantees, no limit.

If I get the same level of service from my dialup ISP (who of course has
to lease plant from the telco) I get charged $25/mo., 2GB quota.

Is that 1GB/mo. a hard ceiling, or will they meter it beyond that point
and pro-rate charges accordingly?

I'm shaking my head at that number... I commonly manage four or five
hundred megabytes per month of throughput... at 56K.  More, if I'm doing a
lot of P2P (or adcritic, or mp3.com).

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."