[thelist] Single install of PHP4, MySQL, Apache for Linux?

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu Dec 6 15:39:55 CST 2001

>Building from source is not that hard, what is the problem you're
>running into?
>
>The install documentation for php is quite thorough on the enitre
>process.

True, but the mysql configure options can be a bit tricky. Even if
you want to build your own, it might be best to download mysql as a
binary rpm from mysql.com for your intel architecture. Install MySQL
first. Make sure it's working. Then move on to installing apache and
php.

Configure apache with at least: --enable-module=rewrite --enable-shared=rewrite

Then make, and make install. That'll get DSO support up, which makes
PHP installation a breeze.

Configure PHP: --with-mysql=/path/to/mysql --with-apxs=/path/to/apache/bin/

Make, make install, and follow the instructions in the INSTALL
document re: copying the php.ini file around, and checking that the
php 4 stuff is uncommented in the httpd.conf file.

The main thing is to do it in the above order, well, I guess mysql /
apache could be swapped around. The second thing is to make sure DSO
support is working. I've had problems with the =max options for DSO,
just get mod_rewrite in there and you'll be good to go.

Also, you do want to point to the directory containing mysql, and the
directory containing apxs in the PHP configure options. If you don't
with mysql then you're stuck with PHP's static libraries, which is
not so good. If you don't with apxs, well, you might be lucky, but
the OSes I use always seem to need that directory to be specified.

Best of luck
Andrew

--
Andrew Forsberg