[thelist] Is server-side browser-sniffing a bad idea?

Craig Saila crsaila at yahoo.ca
Thu Dec 6 16:34:22 CST 2001

Ben Gustafson wrote:

> Yup. Thanks, aardvark. BTW, this is a bit of a bummer, since sending a page tailored to

I ran into this a couple of times with my own site which serves up two
completely different pages for the v.4 and below browsers and the v.5+
browsers.

It was only really an issue with IE because you couldn't force it to
call the latest page (thankfully my ISP seems to have improved its
caching), so I've stuck with it.

Despite the fact it cancels out the benefits of caching (i.e., faster
download times for the user), wouldn't putting:
in the head solve these server-side issues?

--
Cheers,

Craig Saila