[thelist] Can't get MySQL to run on Boot (was: Single install of PHP4, MySQL, Apache for Linux?)

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Thu Dec 6 18:38:04 CST 2001

Okay, thanks for all the help. I finally ditched the binary install that
I have been wrestling with and have gone with a nice rpm install
instead. With all the suggestions here, I may try the binary install
again. However, I have a few questions.

1. what is the difference between mysql and mysql-server?
2. What exactly does chkdonfig do? Where can I learn more about that, it
sounds like it is somewhat important.
3. How powerfull is rc.local on Red Hat 7.2 and are there any
limitations in using it. Can I simply place a command such as
/path/mysql/safe_mysqld & in it and expect to run or do I really need to
go through the fancy chkconfig process?

For now, that is it.

Thank you all for your help.

/chris