[thelist] Internal Networking: 5 Q's

/cdj chris at fuzzylizard.com
Fri Dec 7 08:06:41 CST 2001

Well, let me try and answer a few of those for you.

>1) Does anyone know if I can make a connection to the default
>Win2KPro web/ftp/mail server? (I think it's personal web server) from
>another machine?

This one is the tricky one. You need to give the PC a static IP address
in order for this to work. I have never used IPNet so I can't comment on
how this is to be done. However, once the PC has a static IP address and
is connected to the hub, then open a web browser, type in the IP and
viola, your web pages. The same goes for FTP. As for SMTP, I am not
sure.

>2) If not, is Apache the right choice of web servers to install
>considering the OS is MS? (I only want to test from my other machines
>on my home network, not serve to the web at large.)

IIS or Apache, either will do fine. My suggestion is to install
whichever type of server will eventually be hosting the pages, however,
it really doesn't matter, both will work.

>3) I've got the full version of CFServer running on my PC, will I
>encounter config nightmares due to my beginner's knowledge level of
>networking if I do?

If CF is up and running properly on the PC then nope, no problems. Is it
the developers edition of CF or a full licensed version? If it is the
developers edition then it is limited to a single IP in which case, you
will only be able to access it from the PC. But, it won't cause any
config nightmares when trying to run HTML of IIS over the network.

>4) Does anyone know all of the above assumes that I can serve to
>another machine, wether or not IPNet Router will let me address my PC?

As long as the PC has a static IP and is connected to the same hub as
all the other machines and all the other machines have TCP/IP up and
running on them, then you should be able to access IIS and FTP
regardless of whether IPNet is running or not. TCP/IP and IPNet are two
separate things.

>5) And if so, can someone suggest the setup?

What kind of machines are you trying to network together?

/chris