[thelist] IP NETWORK QUESTION

Ron_Senykoff at BEAEROSPACE.COM Ron_Senykoff at BEAEROSPACE.COM
Fri Dec 7 10:33:15 CST 2001

<snip>
We have this one ip address that keeps sending a bot to our website.  The
ip
is one on the local area network of my college campus.  Is their a way to
find out information about this ie. the name of the computer without going
to our campus ISP.

I have WS_Ping propack but have not been successful.
</snip>

Are you on the same LAN as the machine with the 'bot?'  What do you mean by
a bot?
If you are on the campus lan, a tracert will show you the name of the
machine

Open up DOS window

tracert 123.223.132.231

substitute in the IP of the computer in question, of course

If you aren't on the LAN, then you aren't going to get the machine name...
also, you could be seeing the IP of a firewall/router that's doing NAT
instead of the actual box that's hitting you.

-Ron