[thelist] Need some tips on setting up a dotcom [hardware related]...

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Fri Dec 7 14:43:23 CST 2001

> Ideally, I would start with just taking up space on an ISP's
> server (get my
> own domain, and get them to host it).  If things go well,
> then pretty soon,
> I could see getting my own webserver.  Would it be more cost
> efficient to
> get co-location in an ISP (what do you end up paying for?  Just the
> co-location charges and admin rates - do they still charge
> for traffic?) or

We (Ti3) co-lo. Besides paying for rack space and the sanity that
there's a network guru at beck-and-call, we also pay for bandwidth. It
is well worth it, because the big advantage to co-locating is what you
get in infrastructure. We're within the zero-mile (literally across the
street) from a SWBell CO, and the guys there peered to multiple
backbones over fiber. You also pay for (in our case; investigate your
co-lo) a "hardened" environment: secure access, a/c, backup power (they
have their own generator). We're able to run most of our servers on 24v
DC instead of AC, from what I understand helps lifetime of the box. It
also gives the clients that want a walk-through a nice warm-fuzzy that
the servers running their stuff isn't in somebody's closet next to the
unmbrella.

If/when you can afford it, go co-lo. =)

sgd