[thelist] whether SMIL has any real-world use, or future

paw at f2s.com paw at f2s.com
Fri Dec 7 19:04:13 CST 2001

Hi Richard.

Thanks for the link, and the interrest.

>>whether SMIL has any real-world use, or future

It believe it does. The SMIL 1.0 Spec. is very usefull. The 2.0 spec is another
story.
 The 2.0 is in my opinion obsolete. The Spec is HUGE, and with both Flash and
advanced DHTML on the scene, there is really no point. SVG can share that same
wet grave.
The thing I like about the SMIL 1.0 spec. is that it´s short and easy to learn.
First you get the hang of it, it´s really easy to mix, place, and syncronize
all kinds of formats (movies, sounds, graphics, Flash, text (tip:Don´t do the
text thing))
You´re right about the processer. Use SMIL and watch your machine turn muslim.
Another problem is to get SMIL to run in the first place. It´s very picky when
it comes to MIMEtype settings, so you can´t just tosh it at some "My-first-
Webhotel-and-the-Supporter-is-a-crackhead server". This is also why I use the
Quicktime plugin (I´m a walking popup). Quicktime loves SMIL, and QT is in
itself is a very powerfull plugin.
I did some testing with HTML+TIME too, which was great, and very easy to put to
use.. eeeeh... I mean extremely great is you are using IE5.5/6 :-(
HTML+TIME is great for some quick and dirty sync, but you have to ad some SMIL
(e) to gain full control.
Real Networks was part of the team that developed SMIL, but Real Player is
AAAARRRG to work with. Then again, it might become a better article if I
include something on Real Player.
Sorry, too many words here :-#
Bottomline : In Spring Microsoft gave SMIL the green light, The 1.0 spec. is
easy to learn, the machines have gotten faster, HTML+TIME is here, and SMIL is
still part of the XML family.

"integer - does not match SMIL" ?? I don´t understand that. Can you help me
out ?

Sorry about the bad English.

Bottoms up,
Paw.