[thelist] php vs asp [More specific]

Michael Galvin mpgalvin at eircom.net
Fri Dec 7 19:41:53 CST 2001

Okay, Jon ;)

Say I'm starting a dotcom right now.  I known ASP (with VBScript) and reckon
Access will be enough to begin with as a DB, but I want to be able to move
up to SQL relatively painlessly as soon as things get iffy - with ASP I have
that chance better than I would with PHP.

My question would be (and taking into account Eol's remarks about never
leaving an IIS environment) would I get more bang for my buck if I learned
PHP right here, right now and use that as my dynamic web page generator, or
should I just concentrate on making the ASP as good as I can (I have zero
experience of PHP and I can imagine a lot of trawling the web looking for
"how do I..." sites, which is not really a concern of mine when it comes to
ASP).

Regardless of the OS, the webserver, the version of PHP and (quite possibly)
the database, is there any real point in learning and developing with PHP
(other than my own insatiable thirst for knowledge ;).

Lordy, I do believe that's even more general...  "Should I learn PHP?"
indeed!