[thelist] php vs asp [More specific]

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Fri Dec 7 20:01:45 CST 2001

> Regardless of the OS, the webserver, the version of PHP and
> (quite possibly) the database...

make that "quite probably"

see, if you're going to have a database-driven website, it might be a good
idea to think about exactly what you want to use the database *for*

from that starting point, you will answer questions like

  ... whether to store code snippets or plain text

  ... how to make your site navigation dynamic and how to represent the
heirarchy of the site's sections and subsections in the database

  ... whether you want a breadcrumb trail and how to code it so it's
automatic on any page in the hierarchy

  ... how to handle "page x of y" logic and not retrieve all nine hundred
and thirty-seven rows if you're just going to show ten of them on the page

  ... whether to store username and password in the database, and how to
design the login and reminder and send-me-my-password routines

all of the above considerations need to be planned and designed and the
specs created long before you start coding

having said all that, let me add that you should learn the language you
feel most comfortable with

if you have any programming background at all, the language that is most
comfortable will make itself known to you quickly and you won't need
anybody else's advice

if you have no programming background, forget asp and strongly consider
cold fusion

(o;

rudy