[thelist] Cold Fusion error messages

Sharon F. Malone sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Sat Dec 8 15:58:25 CST 2001

I'm in big trouble! Hope someone can help me quickly.

A Cold Fusion file named downloadSend.cfm was written by a CF programmer (no longer contactable) for one of my client's web sites months ago. I tried to make some revisions to it last night to include another downloadable file and text. The problem is, I don't know beans (maybe one) about CF. I have been able in the past to add fields and such successfully. But this time I added another parameter ... and am guessing at a lot of it.

The first error message had to do with the CFPARAM tag which seems to be fixed.

The second error message I got was:

Error Occurred While Processing Request

 Error Diagnostic Information

 An error occurred while evaluating the expression:

 #fname#

 Error near line 25, column 14.

 Error resolving parameter FNAME

 ColdFusion was unable to determine the value of the parameter. This problem is very likely due to the fact that either:

   1.You have misspelled the parameter name, or
   2.You have not specified a QUERY attribute for a CFOUTPUT, CFMAIL, or CFTABLE tag.

 The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (#fname#), occupying document position (25:13) to (25:19).

 Date/Time: 12/08/01 12:49:15
 Browser: Mozilla/4.7 [en] (Win98; I)
 Remote Address: 63.27.36.18

The problem is: this piece of the code (lines 65-83) is code written by the CF programmer!!!!!! not me. I just followed suit when I added lines 85-97 (and lines 13-20 ... the new parameter name ... and line 38).

The third error message I got was:

Error Diagnostic Information
Context validation error in tag CFELSE

The tag is not correctly positioned relative to other tags in the template: tag CFELSE must be nested immediately inside tag CFIF. Instead, it is nested immediately inside tag CFOUTPUT.

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFELSE), occupying document position (75:2) to (75:9).

The specific sequence of files included or processed is:
D:\InetPub\wwwroot\datablocks\DownloadSend.cfm

Date/Time: 12/08/01 13:56:15
Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; MSNIA; Windows 98; T312461)
Remote Address: 63.27.36.18
HTTP Referer: http://www.datablocks.com/download.htm

This is the third error message I've gotten. Again, this is code written by the programmer, not me, and has never created a problem before. Each time I think I have a fix, another error message pops up.

Could someone help? I don't know what URL to give you to look at the code 'cause all you can see is the error message code now. When I began, you could still see the page code (most of it).

Sharon )<8

Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com