[thelist] Calling a function in ASP from a link

Joshua Olson joshua at alphashop.net
Sun Dec 9 15:37:05 CST 2001

Michael,

Not to split hairs, but you can place client side VBScript in an ASP file
and call the client side VBScript function using the manner I described.

Internet Explorer, for example, supports client side VBScript...others
browsers might as well, though I do now know which.  Additionally, if you've
defined functions in VBScript, you can call them from JavaScript and visa
versa.

You are correct, however, VB functions defined for the server to execute
(within <% %> blocks) are not  available to the client under normal
conditions.

There are so many possible combinations of "client-side this" and
"server-side that" (which is why developing for the web can be so much fun
and utterly confusing to some people) that it can be very difficult to ask
questions that are 100% clear.  For example, I thought you'd already written
client-side VBScript that performed all the bookmarking magic and you were
asking what was the best way to trigger the code.

While getting my CompSci degree I looked down upon web programmers as being
silly.  In retrospect, what the h%*l was I thinking?

Good luck in your project.

-joshua