[thelist] Old School DOS tricks

Joshua Olson joshua at alphashop.net
Mon Dec 10 23:10:15 CST 2001

Ok, now that we've got the trick, what can we do with it.

Well, here's one good use.

Let's say you want an entire folder structure pasted into a text file so
that you can read it in and push it into a db if you have the need.

Try this:

dir /b/s/l/aa>files.txt
dir /b/l/s/ad>directories.txt

This will  make two text files.  The first will contain every file in the HD
starting at a certain point.  The second will contain every directory on the
HD starting at a certain point.

A sample couple of lines from the files.txt looks like this:

d:\inetpub\filename.exe
d:\inetpub\filename2.com
etc...

A sample from the directories.txt looks like this:

d:\inetpub\directory1
d:\inetpub\directory2
etc...

IOW, no crap to parse out!  No need to write recursive functions.  Just
execute the DOS lines, and then read in the file.

Have fun.

-joshua