[thelist] home page max size

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Wed Dec 12 23:57:52 CST 2001

>still can't find a link to that article where a guy rants about how
>easy it is to update the DNS record and that there's no reason
>*not* to do it...
>
>anyone?

i think i vaguely remember the article, but it's not DNS you're
after, it's the webserver config. e.g. apache can listen for
http://www.foobar.com/ or http://foobar.com/ and send requests to the
same directory.

adapted from: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/name-based.html

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName www.foobar.com
DocumentRoot /www/foobar
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName foobar.com
DocumentRoot /www/foobar
</VirtualHost>

of course, i could be wrong, and haven't confirmed it (once again,
i'm relying on my poor short-term memory). but this makes sense to me
logically (long-term memory is better), seeing as DNS servers
couldn't care less whether www is at the front or not. :) they start
at the most generic level and resolve to the most specific. when they
find a web server that'll deal with foobar.com it'll send the request
to it. if your server is listening for both then there should not be
a problem.

on the other hand, i don't understand your problem with ebay.com.
perhaps they have a large number of legacy scripts that rely on
www.ebay.com. at least you don't get a 'connection problem' error
when attempting ebay.com.

cheers
andrew