[thelist] Netscape 6.2 on Mac

David McCreath mccreath at ak.net
Fri Dec 14 12:47:42 CST 2001

Hi, Peter --

> Tested it: the browser string looks normal, no 0.9 version where you'd
> normally look for a version (after the 'Mozilla/' or after the 'Netscape').

We're using Browser Hawk and checking the piece of the string between
the parentheses, which is where the 0.9.4 is now showing up. We've
figured out what we need to do.

> Therefore I think the browser detect has been written incorrectly. Even
> worse, I darkly suspect that you don't need a browser detect at all (you
> very,very  rarely need one).

Our situation is this: We're a public school district moving many of our
systems to web/browser-base solutions. To insure the safety of the data,
we're running SSL and 128 bit encryption.

Because we have many, many computers (~6,000 used by staff) of varying
ages and abilities and very few support personnel (6), we're using the
browser detect to prompt people using browsers that don't support 128
bit encryption to download and install an appropriate browser themselves.

thanks!
David