[thelist] 3d modeling software recommendations?

Stephen Smiroldo ssmiroldo at hsmm.com
Mon Dec 17 12:52:35 CST 2001

No one has mentioned Electric Image's Universe <http://www.electricimage.com>.

I have been using this program now for 3.5 years. We use it in
conjunction with FormZ. My co-worker and I went to Siggraph this past
August to get training in Maya and to talk with the folks at Maxon
(Cinema 4D) and NewTek (Lightwave). There were areas of each software
that we were very impressed with (i.e. Maya's Paint Effects, dynamics
and 3D paint technologies & Cinema 4D's multipass rendering
capabilities) but ElectricImage offers a hybrid surface/solids
modeler, incredible rendering speed, excellent quality renderings,
easy and straight-forward yet powerful interface, souped-up character
animation tools, incredible texture mapping/shading capabilities,
etc., etc., etc. All this for $995!!

We were seriously thinking of moving to one of the other "well-known"
3d Apps, but once we discovered that Universe does many of the things
other 3D apps do, but better, we have decided to stick with
ElectricImage's Universe.

They have been through a rough time over the past 2 years, but are
now picking up some serious steam. The people over at
<http://www.dvgarage.com> use ElectricImage for all of their 3D
tutorials and almost give it away in their "3D Toolkit" software
package.

Stephen Smiroldo
HSMM, Inc.
<http://www.hsmm.com/3danim>