[thelist] Web to print solutions

Moe Rubenzahl moe at maxim-ic.com
Tue Dec 18 20:34:21 CST 2001

We produce a catalog that has several sections of pretty intensive
data content -- electrical specs, etc. All this data exists on our
website and is in our SQL database on the web server.

Presently the catalog is prepared manually, by marking up and
revising the prior year's Quark Xpress files. I want to instead
publish from the web-based data (which is always fresh).

Am looking for semi-automated approaches. We can quite easily write
programs to display exactly the data we need but how do we get it to
print?

I expect the right answer is to generate text files with style tags,
that could be imported directly into Quark Xpress (perhaps via a
plug-in to interpret the tagging?)

Can anyone point me toward some solutions for this kind of thing?