[thelist] Stretchy left column background

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Thu Dec 20 10:59:46 CST 2001

As height="100%" is not valid HTML code, you'll find that it won't work in
newer browsers, such as IE6.

Using a background image is a much better idea. It's best to make the
background image in GIF format (to keep the file size down) and with a
dimension of around 64px for height (to keep the venetian blind effect in
NN4.x to a minimum). You can make the image quite narrow - say 100px wide or
so - by using background-repeat:repeat-y in the CSS declaration for your
body tag. That way, the image won't repeat sideways, even if you're browsing
with a wide monitor.

Regards
Mark Howells
Working in a Winter Wonderland