[thelist] To those ones who can't wait (is: IP theft)

jay.blanchard at thermon.com jay.blanchard at thermon.com
Thu Dec 20 15:24:41 CST 2001

 >coercion?

There was no coercion, this one was done without knowledge or forethought.
The "I bet I can do this and you can't..." statement doesn't work here
because this wasn't waived in the "victim's" face.

I can see that this strikes a particular chord with you JD, as it would
with many who have created or work on a team that created a particular
thing such as a song, or a program, or a photograph. I skipped the original
post as it did not seem to be something I was interested in, so I am not
sure if the offendee did any chest beating that would seem threatening to
the offended, and I have already deleted the post as the box was getting
full so I cannot go back for a review. However, I do understand your
protectiveness. However, the nature of the rebuttal seems a little harsh
and may not have the appropriate effect.

It would seem that this is pretty much OT and therefore some tips should be
coerced into being...

Jay

<tip type="Data Source Names" author="Jay Blanchard">
Data Source Names (DSN's) should be made as descriptive and meaningful as
possible and for security sake each DSN can be assigned a particular set of
permissions such as;

DSN Name		Permission(s)
web_request		select only
web_update		update only
web_delete		delete only
web_update		update only
web_report		update and select
etc. etc. etc.

Doing this, and documenting each DSN will save those who must code behind
you and will increase data security.
</tip>